Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Children teach us how to be joyful

A little boy sat in the shopping cart at the grocery store...

"VROOMMMMMM!" he said as his mother pushed him through the aisles, his hands holding an imaginary steering wheel. I learned from him that even the most mundane errands can be opportunities to use my imagination.

A little girl walked down the street with her mother ...

"La la la di da di da" she sang as she skipped to the tune in her head. I learned from her that it doesn't matter who's watching--live in the moment and sing if 'ya wanna. It's fun.

My baby girl, while snuggled in bed between my husband and I, rolled over into me and put one chubby hand on each side of my face. I woke up and saw two little blue eyes staring into mine. "Mommy, I love you!," she seemed to say through the most delighted smile. I learned from her that each moment with our loved ones is a moment to cherish, to delight in, to savor. A moment to stop and notice...to put your hands around.

When I stop and watch children, I learn how to live each moment joyfully. Unlike me, they don't worry themselves with what other people think, with the chores that await them, or with the many concerns of this world. They are unburdened and free to be fully in-the-moment.

We too have this freedom, if we live each moment with Jesus. Jesus tells us over and over in the Gospels not to be afraid, or anxious, or worried--to bring our cares to Him and let Him bear the burdens for us. He tells us, "for My yoke is easy, My burden light." This is how we have to become like little children, and how we will gain entrance into Heaven...by trusting everything to Him so that we can live every moment as He intends it.

2 comments:

Mama Manak said...

Thanks so much Leilani! Sometimes I feel like God is speaking to me through your blogging... :) Just today we went to the Postoffice and Bank and the whole way too and from the car Christopher was holding my hand and JUMPING! His new favorite thing... I was so tempted to tell him to stop it and hurry up with me, but he was enjoying living in that moment so much!

Trisha Q said...

Ahhh! I have to remember to take delight in the simple things. Thanks for the reminder.