Wednesday, December 3, 2008

When I Grow Up I Wanna Be an Old Woman

I'm not the biggest fan of Kaiser Permanente, (or any HMO for that matter), but I have to say that they've got a great new ad campaign.



Our culture is obsessed with youth, to the point where aging is considered something to be avoided like the plague. But lets face it ladies--there's only one alternative to getting old...

I say rather than fight this process of getting wrinkles and watching certain parts of our body go south, we embrace it as the badge of honor it is.

So, OK...admittedly, I'm only in my 20's. Who am I, you ask, to talk about "aging"? But I, (along with many of my friends in their 20's and 30's,) have plenty of temptations to hate the parts of my body that don't look as they used to. Those of us in our so-called-youth still fight body image problems. If we don't re-adjust our attitude now, what's going to happen to us when the signs of our age become even more readily apparent?

Next time I have the urge to be critical of my body, I'm going to marvel at it instead--yes, even the stretch marks, the sun spots, the lines forming on my face, the scars, and especially that flabby ponch that so stubbornly hangs at my mid-section. Why, you ask? Because these are God-given signs of a life well-lived. Every stretch mark, every wrinkle, every scar tells a story of my life, and to wish any of them gone would be to wish a piece of my history removed.

Those stretch marks and that ponch are blessed reminders that my body has nurtured a little human being into existance. Those scars, reminders of clumsy moments of fun in my childhood. And what of the lines forming on my face, slowly but surely? They are visible signs of having experienced life to its fullest--both in moments of great joy and of great sadness.

A body free of blemishes in my old age would mean a life free of experience--so I'll take whatever blemishes I'm dealt, although I may do a few sit-ups along the way.

5 comments:

Lil Leya said...

you are awesome!!!!

LovePureBeauty said...

This is totally cute and profound! Thanks, Leilani!

Trisha Q said...

That's great! It came at a timely matter. When my body is completely large.

Anonymous said...

I HATE that ad campaign. It makes fun of older women. It's a stereotype that older women are fat, stupid and do stupid things, and wear funny clothes and look ridiculous.

I am 62 and I never intend to put on a flapper costume , or sit in a chair in a field, or make a spectacle of myself as a cheerleader, or look like I have dementia. Everybody thinks you are a "sweet funny" old lady. I am also not going to sit around admiring photos of myself at a younger age.

There are people over 60 who still reserve their dignity and dress appropriately, and act appropriately - not like a nutty old grannie, the social stereotype.

Unknown said...

While I'm only in my late 20s, I'm going to respecfully disagree with Mrs. Grimaud. And maybe my being in my late 20s gives me a good perspective to disagree. I don't believe it portrays people in their 60s and doing crazy things at all. I think it shows older women having fun in their life and they are able to do it because they have good medical care.

It don't believe it perpetuates any stereotypes of a nutty old Granny.